Showing love to seniors involves thoughtful gestures and actions that make them feel appreciated, valued, and cared for. Here are some ways to show love to seniors in this month of Valentines day, and all year round.
1. Ask Them To Tell You A Story: Many seniors are widowed, living alone, or have lived with the same person for years, and having someone to talk to can mean the world to them. Ask questions to deepen the conversation, and show them that you are interested. Listen to them. Their stories are amazing, insightful, and can be life changing for each person involved.
2. Spending Quality Time: While aging, loneliness and depression are two very common problems among seniors. Set aside dedicated time to spend with them. Engage inactivities they enjoy, such as playing games, reading, or watching a movie together. Do a craft together or even bake something; it is not about what you do, but that you are doing something together, creating memories. You could also express an interest in a hobby of theirs and even join in.
3. Offering Assistance: Help with tasks they may find challenging such as grocery shopping, cooking, and household chores. You could also assist with technology related issues if they are not familiar with devices. A little help goes a long way.
4. Expressing Affection: Give hugs, hold hands or offer a gentle touch to convey physical affection. Physical touch is extremely important to our brain and overall well-being. Compliment them and express your love verbally through kind words. Let them know how grateful you are for them.
5. Creating Memories: Plan special outings, events, and activities that allow you to create positive and memorable experiences together. Capture moments with photographs to cherish later.
6. Celebrating Milestones: Acknowledge and celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and other important milestones in their lives. Throw a small party or organize a get-together with family and friends.
7. Providing Comfort: Ensure their living environment is comfortable, safe, and welcoming to come home to. Offer assistance with any health-related concerns and offer to accompany them to medical appointments.
8. Sending Thoughtful Gifts: Surprise them with thoughtful gifts that reflect their taste preferences and interests. Consider personalized items or items that enhance and compliment their daily lives.
9. Involving Them In Decision making: Include them in family decisions and discussions to make them feel valued, needed, and respected. Most importantly, seek their opinions on matters that affect them.
10. Maintaining Regular Communication: Stay in regular contact through phone, video chats, and regular visits. Remember that they need to feel appreciated and connected.
Send letters, cards and emails to let them know you are thinking of them.
There are so many ways to show love and support to our seniors. Make sure they feel loved, needed, valued and appreciated often. They are worth our time and our efforts. Each senior is different, but every human appreciates love, kindness, and appreciation. In this month of love, show some to a senior today!